Saturday, July 2, 2011

Book Review - Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston

Rating: 10/10

Twenty-seven year old Aron Ralston is a retired mechanical engineer and an experienced outdoorsman. He has hiked numerous mountains and escaped death several times. However, on April 26, 2003 somewhere in Utah, as he is hiking through an "easy" route, a boulder gets dislodged and traps Aron's right hand on the canyon wall. With scant food and water and a dying resolve, Aron manages to pull through for six days, and survive to tell his inspiring tale.

This book has been in our family's shelf since 2006 (it's my dad's - he brought it back from America). I never once thought of reading it all those years, until Danny Boyle came out with the movie 127 Hours starring James Franco. So, yes, I am guilty of that.

Anyhow, as much as I dislike non-fiction literature (I'm a lover of fiction through and through), I actually liked this one. Aron Ralston's writing style is very good, very detailed (don't worry, the amputation scene isn't all that bad). Between a Rock and a Hard Place is a very inspiring book, more than the movie I dare say. If you felt 127 Hours was not enough to convince you, then you should go read this book. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment