Thursday, March 17, 2011

Book Review - Green by Jay Lake

Rating: 9/10


She was sold by her father when she was young, and was brought to a land she did not know. Imprisoned in a bluestone walled manor, she was taught the ways of a great lady. For many years, she had been called "Girl", until the Factor arrived and called her "Emerald". But she prefers to call herself Green. Suddenly, the time is ripe and she knows she must leave. Running away from the things she had known for years, Green enters a world where the gods meddle with the affairs of men, and one full of treachery.

I was actually frustrated while reading Green. I thought it was taking me a long time to finish a 368-paged book. I spent three hours one night and finished less than a hundred pages. But for all that, I actually enjoyed reading Green.

There is so much to say about this novel, but I'll focus more on the main character.
It's amazing to note that a man was writing this novel. The character of Green is so strong, but it still retains its feminity. It was like Wally Lamb with She's Come Undone. I mean, these guys are amazing. I felt what Green felt, and that feat isn't just rooted in the writer's style: it has to be felt by the writer himself/herself. My professor was telling me some time ago to "write about what you know". Now, Jay Lake isn't a woman, but I felt the womanly aspect of Green. That was just amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment