Saturday, March 6, 2010

Isko-rabble 2010

Isko-rabble 2010, worked out by the U.P. Scrabble Club, occurred last Saturday, 6 March 2010. As students of Ms. Filio in PE2, we were asked to join the competition which will enable us to receive the 20% allotted for our final exam. Those who wouldn't come will be required to take a written exam. Of course, I chose to join the competition not because it's exciting but because it doesn't matter if you win or lose 5 times; you'll still get your 20%.

The night before, 5 March, I asked God to provide me with enough knowledge and wisdom to win at least 4 games. Kyah~

So, the next day, all of us were shaking with nervousness as they announced our opponents. Fortunately enough, my first opponent was one of my classmates so everything is alright and smooth. Anyway, I won three in a row. After three grueling hours of thinking, we had our one hour of lunch (which was good because we were all shaking with hunger). Some of the participants and I proceeded to KFC on TechnoHub where we ate. Duh.

By 12:4o, we were back at the venue (New Gym). It wasn't starting yet but there sure was still tension in the air. Few minutes later, they announced our opponents for the fourth round. I was called first and was paired with a Clifford. He wasn't part of Ms. Filio's class. I think he was one of the applicants for the organization, or he's already member. Doesn't matter. But he was pretty good. REALLY good. I took a glance at his record of games and saw a 687 (I think...) on his cumulative spread. I was shocked. And very, very nervous. Heck, my hands were really shaking by this time. In addition to that, I heard a seatmate say, "Ayokong makalaban si Clifford. 'Pag kinalaban ko siya, magiging negative 500 ang score ko!"

Fifty minutes later, the 4th round was over and I lost. Well, that was expected. LOL. He managed to put in 2 bingo words. The spread for our fight was 119 (that's because he managed to insert the word RETOOLS which earned him a bingo and since he used up all his tiles, those on my rack were counted, multiplied twice and added to his score). So the spread throughout the fight wasn't really that large.

Then came surprise. While we were re-arranging the tiles, he told me that he was very nervous with every turn he made, seeing the not-so-small difference with our scores. I thought, "Shouldn't I be the one who's supposed to be nervous?" But he said again and again that he was really nervous. And, as I was leaving the table, I heard him say to a club member, "Magaling si ate kasi kahit hindi siya naka-Scrabble, malapit lang talaga ang scores namin."

You know what? That felt better than winning against him, because he won all five fights. To have that said of me is flattering and reminds me of this other guy I fought in Kalai during the Sportsfest. He pretty much said the same thing.

Not that I'm "nagbubuhat ng sariling bangko" (but it does sound like it, eh?). I just want to say that having your abilities appreciated and noticed by the best competitors felt better than winning. I'd rather not win if everyone said the same thing. Haha! Anyway, I'm looking forward to more of these competitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment