Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Book Review - Beauty: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley


Rating: 9/10

I love, love, love, love, love this book! After reading cheesy tales about vampires, Beauty by Robin McKinley is a delight! It relives the beautiful love story of Beauty and the enchanted Beast. The characters are amazing because I can say that everything that Beauty experiences, I have experienced also. Not that we're the same; it's just that we both loved books and we're both antisocial. Ha! There you go! Well, anyway, throughout the book, there's this aura of nobility and gentleness whenever the Beast is in a scene. It's like you've always known that there's something in him. (Haha! That was really vague, but whatever...)

It's such a lovely story and I'm not at all regretting buying it over Jack London's book. Now, I want to read more fairy tales!

Just to give you a glimpse of one of the nicest scenes throughout the story:

"Shall we go down then?" he said. He turned, and waved me towards the staircase.
I looked at him a moment. "Aren't you going to offer me your arm?" I said.
There was a silence, while we stared at one another, as if every candle, every tile in the mosaic floor and coloured thread in the tapestries, had caught its breath and was holding it as it watched. The Beast walked the few paces back to me, turned, and offered me his arm. I laid my hand on it, and we walked downstairs.
- excerpt from page 185

(Seriously, I felt a nice tugging at my heart while I was reading that part. And it was nothing like the effect produced by Twilight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment