Saturday, January 30, 2010

Happy breakfast... NO!

January 28, 2010 marks one of the most memorable breakfasts I have ever had in the dormitory. Of course there were a dozen yarns about maggots, half-cooked fish, the omelette, and the like. However, I do not think that every dormer has had remembrances of these "incidents." This day is particularly special because it made such a grand ruckus and there are odd points that may or may never be unanswered.

The morning was wretchedly cold and the sun was, as of that time, still no more. There was want of sleep in me - for I had slept past midnight, finishing three essays for an examination - and I was horribly shivering when I entered the canteen. It was chilly enough inside, too... Perhaps a foreboding of things to occur? But, nay, we ignored it.

I took up my meal card, dropped it in the respective box, and proceeded to get a tray of food. Ah, it was supposed to be a moment of happy eating but it was the contrary. How unfortunate... Terribly so.

You must imagine how hungry one is in the mornings. That was how I felt that I gave little attention to the odd taste of the egg cooked in sunny-side up fashion: it was like eating toothpaste (as one dormer remarked, it was like eating and brushing your teeth at the same time). I disregarded it, for the egg looked completely normal, and I went on eating, every now and then dipping the slices in ketchup generously to get rid of the "flavor."

The scene was temporarily forgotten.

What truly happened, I really don't know. But there were rumors of food poisoning, contaminated cooking oil, and such and such. In my case, I have not felt anything queer. Nevertheless, I was thankful to write a comment about about said breakfast which, I presume, will be handed to the canteen staff.

As you can clearly see, things are not going too well and I verily want to see the end of the days that I shall spend in this wearisome place. What I want most right now is a break, a looooooooong break.

No comments:

Post a Comment