Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Consultation with Mr. Guerrero

I was wont to think last week that my consultation would be very scary, resulting to my nervousness about the subject. I had always imagined myself to be crying over the criticisms my professor would throw at my short story. But, in reality, it all happened in a different way.

I scheduled my consultation for Monday, 2PM. By 1:45, I was out of the dorm, making my way to the FC while running Mr. Guerrero's room number on my head. As I was walking, I could picture myself walking into the room, handing him my draft, sitting on a chair while watching him read it with a disgusted face. Then, after reading it all, he would give it back to me and begin saying all the nasty things about my work. After some minutes of hearing criticisms, he would be done and I would go back to the dorm with a sad, sad heart.

Ha. But it didn't happen that way.

There was an awkward thirty minutes first. I thought that we would consult with Mr. Guerrero on his room (FC 2061) so I waited there for thirty minutes, knocking at the door every five minutes or so. When I was tired of waiting, I decided to ask around for the Institute of Creative Writing. The woman operating the photocopier machine directed me to the room. And, yes. He was there. I am soooooo foolish. XP

So yeah. He took my draft and spent some ten minutes reading it. That was like the worst ten minutes of my day. When he finished reading, he walked up to me and began to point out the mistakes in the draft... In a nice way. He wasn't all shout-y and stuff. He was actually patient ('cause I didn't know what the heck run-on sentences are). He even said that it was well-written, and it only needed a little more adventure...

All in all, I was light-hearted as I walked back to the dorm, knowing that a Palanca awardee had read my work and said that it was well-written.

(I have to work on my grammar... XD)

No comments:

Post a Comment