Friday, April 22, 2011

Book Review - Sword of Waters by Hilari Bell

Rating: 7/10

Sword of Waters is the second book in Hilari Bell's trilogy. Arisa and her mother, the Falcon, have just settled into the life of the nobility. But Arisa hates it: the dancing, evening balls, the spiteful girls, politics... Everything! That is, until her mother tells her to befriend Prince Edoran in order to find the Sword of Waters...

It's a good book - on its own. But when Sword of Waters is placed alongside personal favorites like Green by Jay Lake and A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray, it's not as good. While reading it, I felt like it was meant for a younger audience (by younger I mean 10-12, 'kay?) and, seeing that I've read a lot of fantasy novels lately, I've failed to appreciate it. But it is well-written and well-executed. I just don't see it competing with other novels. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment