Saturday, February 19, 2011

Two new books

I just bought a copy of Miguel Syjuco's Ilustrado, a 2008 Man Asian Literary Award and a Palanca Award. Back then, it was still unpublished so it's probably a really, really good novel. Plus, it's written by a Filipino and it's about Philippine history - stuff which I dig right now. It costs 288 pesos at National Bookstore. Quite a sale, if you ask me. I found it on the "Literary Winners" shelf. As soon as I came home, I covered it with plastic to take care of it. :) 

I also saw copies of Ang mga kaibigan ni Mama Susan by Bob Ong, Between a rock and a hard place by Aron Ralston, and Never let me go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Suzanne Collins' best-selling The Hunger Games trilogy is there - my dream buy. The next book I'll purchase from National is U is for Undertow by Sue Grafton. :) 

Christmas with Anne and other Holiday Stories is a lucky find. I left Booksale to meet up with my sisters outside, but since my aunt wasn't there yet, I decided to go back in. I went to the back of the store where the hard-bounds were. I don't usually go there because they're more expensive than paperbacks. While scanning the shelves, I saw it. It was right there, sitting. It's kind of battered, but it has seen a lot of years (printed in 1996). It's a rare find; I don't usually see these kinds of Montgomery novels around, except for the Anne series. It costs 40 pesos.
I also found a copy of Dr. Faustus, but since it's a play, I didn't buy it. Plays aren't my thing. :P

Of course, there were about five books by Michael Crichton, but they were all expensive. I found two copies of E is for Evidence by Sue Grafton; I already have those.

It's awesome how many books I've found in that store. It's the best shop in the world. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment