Thursday, February 17, 2011

Second time in court

Today, we went back to the Quezon City Hall of Justice for a second round of our court reporting. This time we went to a hearing for the Maguindanao massacre (November 23, 2009 - 57 people were killed).

Before we were able to enter the court room, we had to pass a couple of security personnel. We were given square stickers so we can watch the trial. Cellphones weren't allowed inside so we had to deposit them outside the room, which means no recorder - take down notes!

Before the judge entered the room, pictures of the bodies were being passed around by lawyers. We got a couple of glimpses of the shots. They were grim and dark.

Dr. Felino Brunia, a coroner, was on the witness stand. He explained his findings after he performed autopsy on some of the bodies. The morning session involved direct examination - the prosecution lawyer asked the witness questions regarding the evidence. It was a continuation of yesterday's proceedings. I found it rather... exciting.

(Well, you can say that I'm morbid, because I admit that I am. I enjoy watching CSI, especially when Dr. Al Robbins, the coroner, is present. The description of wounds... uhh... excites me.)

The afternoon session was the cross-examination. It was rather like a tennis match, especially when the prosecution objects to the questions of the defense lawyer.

It was way better than our first court adventure, which was all arraignment - a very boring proceeding. I was able to write down a lot. It's a shame we weren't able to lay our hands on a transcript.

I found covering this trial exciting. My classmates were feeling drowsy, but I think I was very much awake. I enjoyed the cross-examination very much. I feel horrible for the witness, though. I don't want to sit on that chair, ever.

Anyway, I finished writing my first draft and I'll be editing it tomorrow night, maybe.

(Maybe I shouldn't really feel anything exciting about it, because for the families who lost their loved ones, it isn't.)

That's all for now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment