Saturday, January 8, 2011

Book Review - The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton

Rating: 7/10

One of Project Scoop's satellites had just crashed onto an obscure town in Arizona. Two personnel are dispatched to retrieve it, but when they arrive at the town of Piedmont, dead bodies are strewn everywhere. Soon enough, they were both dead. The situation plunges the headquarters into alarm. What had caused the instantaneous deaths? Elsewhere, the Wildfire team, headed by prominent bacteriologist Jeremy Stone, is alerted of the contamination. Can this group of scientists find the culprit for these deaths? And can they find a cure in time to save others?

It's a 1969 novel by Michael Crichton, who is one of my favorite writers. However, for a Crichton novel, I didn't find it exactly engrossing as, say, Jurassic Park or The Terminal Man. The tension, the suspense is completely lost on me, although the language used wasn't exactly as "scientific" as his other books. There was only one scene where I "felt it": the final sequence with Hall, although I also found it lacking.

The Andromeda Strain leaves much to be desired. In spite of the "rave reviews" printed on the cover and on the first pages, I didn't find it as appealing. (Of course, I'm operating on "like" here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment