Friday, July 16, 2010

Movie Review - The Cat Returns

Rating: 10/10

The Cat Returns
is the story of Haru (Anne Hathaway), a girl to whom the cats feel indebted to because she saved their prince. To repay her kindness, the Cat King (Tim Curry) decides to have her marry his son. Haru thinks it is a ridiculous idea but she knows that the cats will definitely do it. While pondering her situation, she hears a voice telling her to "find the Cat Bureau" by first looking for a white cat in the cross roads. She does so (a bit skeptically, I should think) and soon finds herself in a world where creations come alive. She meets two such creations: Toto (Elliott Gould), a crow statue, and The Baron (Cary Elwes), a cat figurine (first seen in Whisper of the Heart). She also meets a fat, white cat named Muta (Peter Boyle). Together, they try to escape the clutches of the Cat King. With these three uncommon companions, Haru learns an important lesson: believing in oneself.

NYAA~ I think it's a fabulous, fabulous, fabulous, meow-tastic movie! (I could say that I liked this better than Whisper of the Heart.) It's not just because Studio Ghibli produced it, but because it is a beautiful story. It's light and very much heart-warming. There were a dozen or more times when it made me smile (like a fool in front of the laptop), laugh, and feel real good. The Cat Kingdom concept is really nice and the entertainers are really funny! Plus, the throw-out-of-the-window thing is so hilarious!

For favorite characters... I liked them all! Then again, I think the Baron is a little arrogant but he's so cool! I think, like Haru, I may have a crush on him. Nyaa~ I want my own Baron now! Muta is also cool (and fat)! The jokes are usually directed towards him (such as his always being bait). Another cat that I liked is Natoru. Nyaa~ He's really cute. Haru is also an awesome heroine. I like her character very much. :)

For favorite scenes... I really liked the one where Prince Lune (Andrew Bevis) said to Yuki (Judy Greer): "Yuki, would you accept these fish crackers as a symbol of my love for as long as we have nine lives?" or something like that. Nyaa~ That was incredibly sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet~

So yeah, obviously, I like The Cat Returns a lot. An hour and fifteen minutes spent watching this isn't time wasted, I'm telling you. It's really entertaining and just about fun with a whole lot of lessons in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment