Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Book Review - A Tangled Web by L.M. Montgomery

Rating: 9/10

A Tangled Web
is one of L.M. Montgomery's many novels. It is set on Prince Edward Island and tells the story of two families - the Darks and the Penhallows - who have always intermarried for a long time. Now, the most prized possession - Harriet Dark's jug - is about to be bequeathed to one lucky person. Who is it going to be? Only sick and dying Aunt Becky knows and she's not about to let it off easily.

I had much fun reading this book. First of all, it's a novel by L.M. Montgomery! I haven't read one for, like, a long time (two or three months is a terribly long time...). Second, it's an exciting read. L.M. Montgomery retained the playfulness of her writing since Anne of Green Gables. It's always nice to read her books and, after reading one, I feel this sort of lightness and happiness about life. :D

The only thing I didn't quite like is that I had a little difficulty keeping up with the history of the various characters. There were a lot of them that I haven't had time to take note of them all. :P

As for the stories in general, I liked the bit about Brian and Cricket. I was really heart broken when his uncle wrung the kitten's pretty little neck. It's like I could feel a part of what Brian felt, having the only thing that ever loved him murdered. It's really sad and it's the one scene in the novel that really stood out to me. I also liked the bit about Walter Dark's black cat falling in a gallon of gasoline and coming out white. I think it describes the entirety of the novel - that a seemingly unfortunate circumstance could come out as fortunate in the end, after some trial (gasoline = fire; that Eng 11 stuff from last semester really worked. Haha!).

All in all, I liked A Tangled Web (not just because L.M. Montgomery used my nickname...). :D

No comments:

Post a Comment