Thursday, May 20, 2010

Of dust and allergic reactions

So this morning after we had our clearances signed by Ate Lita, she reminded us (me and Hannah) to remove the green covers of the foams on our beds because they're going to bring them to the laundry. Like a good dormer girl, I removed mine as soon as I got to the room [having nothing better to do]. If you must know, I am highly allergic to dust and therefore cleaning so, sure enough, I was soon sneezing like crazy. Seeing that my roommate did not remove hers, I had this great idea to remove it for her (since she was already gone). Turns it out it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. The inside of the green cover was covered entirely in dust and I was like horrified when I saw that. But I shrugged my shoulders and went on removing it [while sneezing...].

After the two covers were removed, I felt really hot and I was sort of having trouble breathing. I was also sweating profusely even though the electric fan was turned on. My face also began to itch. I thought it was because of so much dust so I applied moisturizer. I kept my bangs away from my face, having heard that it might cause irritation. The moisturizer wasn't working so I grabbed my facial cleanser and made a dash for the bathroom.

When I looked at the mirror, viola! The area below my eyes was swollen with mosquito bite-like marks and my eyes were red. I was instantly in PANIC mode but I told myself to wash my face first. I hurriedly did this and went back to my room. I was like, "OMG, OMG, what am I going to do?" [in my mind]. I was feeling hotter and breathing was becoming more difficult. It's a good thing that I remembered Regina [bebz] and her allergy adventures in high school. She was taking this medicine so I thought maybe I should try it too, hoping that the swelling would die down. I looked at the clock [in my laptop] and saw that it was 8:55 AM, almost only an hour left until class starts! I walked quickly out of the dorm [trying to remember the name of the medicine] -> into the Shopping Center [light bulb moment: ANTI-HISTAMINE!!] -> into the Pharmacy [some trouble about the medicine's name] -> back into my room again. I bought two tablets and drank one with water. I waited to see what would happen.

Sure enough, the swelling died down in a matter of minutes and by 9:30 AM my eyes were back to normal and most of the area beneath my eyes was "normal-looking." There some parts that were still swollen but it's not that visible so I was still able to [walk] to class, even though my nose was really stuffy from all the sneezing and my head was reeling.

But what's important is that I was able to think quickly about the anti-histamine tablets. If I didn't, maybe I would have lost consciousness or worse. I'm okay now. Boy, that was an experience. Thank God!!

(My sis said I should have taken pics but I didn't because I was thinking, "Ugh. I don't want to. I look ugly! NO!")

No comments:

Post a Comment