Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Book Review - Rebel Angels by Libba Bray

Rating: 9/10

Rebel Angels is the second book in the Gemma Doyle trilogy, the sequel to the New York Times Bestseller A Great and Terrible Beauty. With the destruction of the Runes, Gemma Doyle has set the magic loose in the realms, free for anyone to use. Everything in the realms is changing, becoming corrupted, even their beloved Pippa. Now, Gemma must find the temple and bind the magic, defeating her mother's friend turned foe - Circe, Sarah Rees-Toome.

I'm afraid I've enjoyed A Great and Terrible Beauty more. While Libba Bray's humor and dark mystery is still captivating, I find Rebel Angels... Um... Lacking, in some way I cannot name. Anyway, it is great that Kartik narrates the Prologue. There is some mention of the "last sixty days" of his life and I feared that I would lose him (HA!). But it was different. Anyway, I shan't spoil the fun.

The novel, in its entirety, pulsates with lies and illusions, but mostly the latter. The mystery that is Circe is... Err... Mysterious. I think Ms. Bray did a good job with it although some parts of it are, for me, a bit rusty. I don't know, but like I said something in it is lacking. Perhaps it is a trait of an in-between book. Perhaps... Perhaps it is the romance that is lacking?..

Booyeah. I'm turning into a dreadful romantic with each passing day. But there, I think I have adapted the language from the Victorian era. Anyway, that is good because it shows the influence of the book. Anyway, Rebel Angels is fascinating in some way and it ends in a way that will leave the reader wanting for more. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment