Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Book Review - The House of Dies Drear by Virginia Hamilton

Rating: 3/10

When I first read the stuff written on the back cover of Virginia Hamilton's The House of Dies Drear, I thought I was in for a fine horror story (horror = Gothic horror = Edgar Allan Poe/Mary Shelley). But, frankly, I was not. Reading it is best described by this excerpt from page 216:

How long has it been since we've been gone from there - two days? Just two days we've been here? It seems like a year.

Exactly my thoughts Thomas, thank you.

The reason why it took me really long to finish it is that, like The Age of Innocence, most of it was uninteresting to me. I didn't feel the suspense building up. I liked Mr. Pluto's character and the final sequence but that's about all. Pesty is a real pest. The Smalls over-react in most of the scenes, especially Mrs. Martha Small. I think Thomas Small was stupid, yeah. Mayhew is... Ugh. Detestable? I just don't find him a nice sort of character. For me, there's no secret in the house. It's just an old building with a bunch of secret passages... So what? Pretty much everything is obvious; there doesn't seem to be any mystery to it. No-o. I don't like the book at all.

There were some moments when it made me smile, but that's about it. In my opinion, nothing about it stands out. *shrug shrug*

No comments:

Post a Comment